FacebookTwitterBloggerYouTubeLinkedIn
Jamie's Blog

Friday, July 31, 2009

Is surgery an unkind cut?

A Canadian study found that women who had bilateral oophorectomy had almost a two-fold increase in risk of lung cancer compared to women who had normal menopause.

Let me get this right: we hack off parts of our bodies to prevent one cancer, which then triggers the disease someplace else? Many breast cancer survivors elect to remove their ovaries because of the statistical correlation between the two types of cancer. Having lost both breasts to cancer, I cling to the promise that I have zero risk of more breast cancer, but this research gives me pause. Do I sacrifice my ovaries or my lungs? Cancer really does suck.
To read the entire story about this research on the Caring4Cancer website, click here:
Bilateral Oophorectomy Increases Risk of Lung Cancer

No comments:

Post a Comment